A whole-house steam humidifier is a small device that’s attached to your heating system. It moistens the dry, warm air in your home and makes it more comfortable to breathe.
The Pros of Having a Whole-House Steam Humidifier
- They are widely considered to be the best type of whole-house humidifiers.
- The device produces steam independently, which means that controlling the humidity level is much easier than with other types of humidifiers.
- The risk of mold is very low with a steam humidifier.
- The moistened air from a steam-based humidifier is very healthy. With no dry air inside, you will no longer experience health issues, like skin and throat irritation, or issues with sinuses and allergies.
- Due to the quality of the device, you can save on your heating bills. The humidifier allows the heating system to work optimally, consuming less energy. Other types of whole-house humidifiers can save you money on bills, but not nearly as much as the steam humidifier.
- Unlike other whole-house humidifiers, steam-powered ones don’t require as much maintenance. You only need to replace the canister once every winter season.
- Steam-powered whole-house humidifiers prevent damage to wood surfaces. Other humidifiers and especially the warm, dry air inside a house during the winter, can be very detrimental to wooden surfaces. Your hardwood floors, wooden cabinets, and other pieces of furniture will be damaged over time if you use anything other than a whole-house steam humidifier.
The Cons of Having a Whole-House Steam Humidifier
- They are more expensive than other kinds of humidifiers and certainly more expensive than regular humidifiers that work in a single room only. However, they are more than worth it in the long run.
- The devices are very complex, which makes their installation in your home somewhat harder when compared to other whole-house humidifiers.
Should I Buy a Whole-House Humidifier?
If you’re looking to balance the humidity level and comfort of your home, then a whole-house humidifier is your best choice. As you can see, they have many more pros than cons!
There are other types of whole-house humidifiers, but we believe that the ones that use steam are the best. They are more complex, but they also work much better which justifies their cost.
If you want to have the most optimal level of humidity in your home then a whole-house steam humidifier, like the Aprilaire 800 is definitely worth having.
Contact Frederick Air if you want to learn more or have one installed in your home.