Frederick Air, Inc
3 King Avenue
Frederick, MD 21701
Phone: (301) 663-0300
Business Hours: 8:00am to 5:00pm
Evening and Weekends Available by Appointment
Need a Service Call or New System Installation?
We want to make it affordable and easy to have your HVAC equipment serviced or repaired. Should you need a new AC installation or a new heater, we'll work with you to stay within your budget.
Our knowledgeable staff is ready with the latest information about programs that you can take advantage of to save you money on new heating and cooling equipment for your home.
Call us today to discuss our flexible financing options. Keep your system running in tip-top condition and stay cool and comfortable all year long.
Be sure to print out our Internet coupons where you can find money-saving discounts on products and services.
24 Hour Service
Our friendly technicians are available 24 hours a day for your emergency service needs. Simply give Frederick Air, Inc a call, day or night, and let one of our technicians help you with your problem. We are always here to assist you.
Cooling System Spring Cleaning
Frederick Air | March 28, 2017
A home cooling system inspection is a must-do for every spring cleaning list. By making the home cooling system maintenance a part of annual spring cleaning, you can save money and ensure the comfort of your family throughout the summer months.
Your cooling system spring cleaning checklist should include, at a minimum:
- Thermostat check: ensure that the programming is correct for days and times you want a particular temperature. Take advantage of any periods your home might be vacant by setting the temperature higher. Also, ensure the system comes on when you lower the temperature beyond the actual air temperature. If it does not, contacting a licensed home cooling system/HVAC repair person is critical before they grow busy with seasonal emergency calls. Those that do not make this simple check part of their spring cleaning may find a wait of a week or more to get their cooling system repaired.
- Filter check, cleaning, and replacement: your spring cleaning should include a visual check and cleaning or replacement of cooling system filters that might be clogged. A dirty filter can not only reduce the efficiency of your cooling system but can cause damage and expensive repairs. Beyond your spring cleaning, this should be done monthly during seasonal usage to ensure your cooling system is operating at maximum efficiency.
Most of the rest of the items on the cooling system spring cleaning check-up list are ones that should be performed by a licensed cooling system expert. They involve:
- Tightening of electrical connections to prevent a short circuit and serious damage.
- Lubrication of all cooling system moving parts. Friction from poorly lubricated bearings and other moving parts reduce efficiency and can cause premature part failure.
- Cleaning and inspection of the condensation drain. A poorly maintained drain can increase humidity or cause water damage.
- Complete controls check that the cooling system starts, cycles and shuts down properly. This ensures your home is coolest when it is supposed to be and saves energy when programmed to do so.
- Cleaning of the evaporator and condenser coils. Dirt in the coils reduce the heat exchange and lower cooling efficiency of the system.
- Check and top off air conditioner refrigerant level. If the levels are improper, it can shorten the effective life of your system and/or reduce the efficiency.
- Clean and adjust blower components. The blower can have the single most significant effect on efficiency, up to a 15% impact overall.
Just like changing the oil on your car, proper preventative maintenance can make your home cooling system more efficient, cost-effective, and reduce the chance of a costly breakdown. Give us a call at 301-663-0300 and schedule your spring cleaning for your HVAC system.